Global Energy Leadership Program
The energy industry has been marked by rapidly changing demands, regulatory challenges, geopolitical risks, and disruptive innovation. In this volatile and uncertain environment, leaders must be able to embrace disruption, navigate risk, and effectively manage the teams that drive their organizations.
Rice University’s Global Energy Leadership Program is designed for senior functional, technical, or business managers planning to transition to a business leadership role or embark on entrepreneurial ventures in the energy industry.
- Leadership Acumen in Energy Sector
Enhance your business leadership skills to thrive in the dynamic and disruptive energy sector, with immersive modules across the industry capitals of Houston and Dubai.
- Cutting-Edge Curriculum
Leverage cutting-edge curriculum covering 40+ topics across seven themes that are essential for leadership in a global energy sector.
- World-Class Faculty and Practitioners
Learn from the Rice ecosystem's thought leadership and apply your knowledge in a strategic project, interacting with renowned faculty and practitioners.
- Diverse Peer Group
Engage with global peer group who are future energy leaders over the four-month learning journey.
- Executive Education Alumni Benefits
In addition to earning a Certificate of Completion, participants receive benefits including invitations to Rice Business events as well as tools and resources to stay connected with Executive Education alumni.
Register to Download eBrochure
This program is ideal for senior functional, technical, or business managers about to make the transition to a general management role or embark on entrepreneurial ventures in the energy industry.
The learning journey is specifically designed for senior executives with:
- Minimum 10 years of management experience
- Proven leadership potential
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Energy Strategy Formulation
- Impact of Macro Environment
- Competitive Advantage and Positioning
- Growth through Innovation and New Markets
- Growth through the Value Chain or Adjacency Expansion
- Geopolitics in Energy
- Creating Value for B2B Customers (Customer Value Equation)
- Renewable Sources of Energy
Execution and Change Management
- Key Drivers of Impactful Execution
- Organizational System Changes to Drive New Business
- Effective Change Management
- Principles from Organizational Alignment
- Understanding Barriers to Change
- Change Stakeholder Analysis and Influence Mapping
- Strategies of Influence to Overcome Change Resistance
Innovation & Managing Disruption
- Corporate Innovation Models
- Sustaining an Innovation Culture
- Product, Service and Business Model Innovation
- Applications of Blockchain to Energy
Leading Data-driven Energy Corporations
- Foundations of Data-Analytics
- Modeling Business Decisions
- Enhancing Forecasting
- Understanding Deterministic vs. Data-Driven Models
- Aligning Your Organization to Create a Data-Driven Culture
- AI/ IoT/ Digitization – Impact on Energy Operations and Strategy
Decision-Making Under Uncertainty
- Making High-Stakes Decisions
- Overcoming Common Decision Biases
- Team Decision-Making Process
- Debunking Myths about Leadership
- Leadership Derailment and the Characteristics
- Diagnosing Leadership Strengths and Weaknesses
- Employee Motivation, Engagement, and Performance
- Executive Coaching for Improved Employee Performance
- Building High-Performing, Collaborative, and Innovative Management Teams
- Managing Team Conflict
- Understanding Shareholder’s Objectives
- Conceptual Framework for Value Maximization
- Link between Shareholders and a Firm’s Cost of Capital
- Relationship between Risk and Reward
- Project Valuation
- The Impact of Industry Structure and Competition on Project Value
- Financial modeling
Meet the Faculty
Professor Brent Smith
Senior Associate Dean for Executive Education
Professor Brent Smith’s teaching interests focus primarily on leadership and management development. His executive programs include Leading and Managing Change, Talent Development and Coaching, and Leading and Managing High Performance Teams. Professor Smith has served as leadership faculty in the corporate universities of TOTAL, Lufthansa, Tenaris, National Oilwell Varco, and Cooper Industries. He also serves as Associate Professor of Management and Psychology – Organizational Behavior at The Jones Graduate School of Business.
Professor Prashant Kale
Associate Professor of Strategic Management
Dr. Prashant Kale serves as Associate Professor of Strategic Management in The Jones Graduate School of Business. His research focuses on Corporate Strategy, Strategic Alliances & Mergers, and Acquisitions. His articles on these topics have been published in reputed international journals such as the Strategic Management Journal, Harvard Business Review, California Management Review, MIT Sloan Management Review, European Management Journal, Managerial and Decision Economics, Academy of Management Perspective, and others.
Dates & Fees
|September, 2020||Program Orientation||Online||US $17,000*|
|November 1–6, 2020||6 Days||Houston|
|November, 2020–January, 2021||Online|
|January 11–16, 2021||6 Days||Dubai|
|Round 1||March 31, 2020||US $300|
|Round 2||July 7, 2020||US $400|
|Round 3||August 11, 2020||US $500|
|Round 4||September 15, 2020||US $600|
*Applicants of Rounds 1 & 2 can avail an early registration benefit of US $2000 on the Program Fee.
- • Inclusions: Breakfasts, Coffee breaks, Lunches, and Program materials.
- • Exclusions: Accommodation and Travel are not included.